Monday, March 20, 2017

AE Interview: Get to Know Bruce Wilkinson

Bruce (Bieber?) Wilkinson, Department of Earth Sciences, Syracuse University

Q: What’s your research? 

A: Before its demise, I used to profess expertise in the general field of carbonate geology; often focused on making light of folk who worshiped at the church of our mother of divine parasequence. More recent efforts are directed toward subjects that are a bit more quantitative in flavor; my last paper was on trying to understand the “Sadler Effect” when pretending that rainfall is meteoric sediment. Today I finished up my input on using multidimensional scaling to understand differences among ages of zircons in terrigenous samples, and am working on a paper trying to derive intra-annual growth rates of clams from stable isotope profiles.

Q: Where is your favorite field area (and why)?

A: There are a bunch (yes, I go to the field; at least I used to). I guess if I had to choose, it would be the Miocene-Pliocene lake deposits along the southwestern margin of the Snake River plain. Thick and extensive lake-margin oolite and algal bioherms; hard to beat.

Q: What do you enjoy about serving as JSR AE? 

A: The demise of carbonate geology (it’s the reason Rankey has time to write a JSR blog); that “death” means much less work (I am damn near unemployed as a “carbonate AE” for the Journal.

Q: What was your favorite JSR paper from “back in the day” (or a recent year)?  

A: I guess it would be Bob Folk’s “The natural historyof crystalline calcium carbonate; effect of magnesium content and salinity”; the man rather invented the field of carbonate geology.

Q: What are your hobbies? 

A: We live on this 50-acre hobby farm in upstate New York; horses, goats, cats, turkeys, guinea fowl, pea fowl, chickens, ducks, geese, pigeons; love my John Deere tractor.

Q: What’s on your favorite Pandora station? 

A: I spend a few bucks on Spotify; I clamp on those Sony noise-canceling headphones, and try and do science to the likes of Tompall and the Glaser brothers, Justin Townes Earl, the Gourds, and Mason Porter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment